Talking Points to Counter Attacks of Voting by Mail
LWVUS has provided some talking points you can use to counter attacks on voting by mail:
With the increased popularity of vote-by-mail in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, use the following messages to counter attacks on vote-by-mail and pivot the conversation to solutions. (Avoid saying the words “voter fraud” when interacting with voters, the general public, or media. Even the mention of potential fraud has a negative impact on voters’ confidence in our elections.)
- All states administer elections by mail through the absentee voting process.
- All states have systems in place to deter and detect irregularities or violations in the voting process, both by mail and in person.
- Vote-by-mail does not favor one party over another.
- There is no record of massive or serious election manipulation via mail-in voting (even Fox News anchor Chris Wallace has attested to this).
- (PIVOT) With an expected increase in vote-by-mail in 2020, now is the time for election officials to make the investments in ballot access and protect the integrity of our elections.
- Like all voting systems, vote-by-mail benefits from risk-limiting audits, which allow election officials to double-check the vote count, identify irregularities that need to be resolved, and issue strict penalties for tampering with the process.
To see these talking points on this and other topics, go to LWV.org.